Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

College Bound

3 Things You Need To Know

  • Your auto insurance premium will change depending on whether you are taking your vehicle with you or leaving your car with your parents.
  • Your parents’ homeowners’ policy may or may not cover your personal property while you are at school. 
  • You may still be covered under your parents’ health insurance policy.

You are accepted! After you’ve received letters of acceptance to your preferred college it is time to say goodbye to friends, pack your belongings and head out on a new adventure.  Before you go, check with a TrustedChoice® insurance agent to make sure you have the coverage you need to protect your property.

Insurance 101 Courtesy of Central Insurance

Automobile Insurance

If you are not taking a car with you, let your insurance agent know. Your parents’ insurance premiums can be significantly cheaper if you will not have access to the vehicle and go from being a regular driver to an occasional driver.

If you're taking your car with you to college, make sure you give your insurance agent your new address.  Auto insurance is rated using the risk factors associated with where your vehicle is garaged, so the premium may change. The insurance company will also be interested in how you are using the vehicle; Are you driving it around campus or leaving it at your dorm while you walk or bike to classes?

Homeowners Insurance

While you may not own a home, you’ll want to make sure your belongings — including your clothes, shoes, laptop and TV — are protected. Because there are so many factors, it’s best to call your Trusted Choice independent insurance agent.

In many cases, your belongings will be covered under your parents’ policy. Some carriers cover personal property at a secondary location for up to 10% of the limit on a homeowners policy. But what is considered an insured secondary location?  In order to have coverage under your parents’ policy, you must still be considered a resident of their household.

If you are staying in the dorms, insurance carriers will normally consider you still living with your parents. There may also be special limits on electronics and jewelry. Insurers have different guidelines, but the easiest, safest way to know you're covered is to purchase a renter’s policy — especially if you decide to move off campus or rent an apartment.

When renting an apartment or home with your friends, your insurance agent will want to know whose name is on the lease, if you have established residence by changing your car registration and other legal documents and your long term goals.

Are you staying there? Do you plan to move back to your parents’ home? Will you be home for the summer? A renter’s insurance policy will cover all of your furniture and personal property rather than subject you to the 10% limitation under your parent’s policy.

The landlord may also require proof of liability insurance before you move in. Obtaining a renter’s policy can fulfill this requirement. If you have roommate, everyone needs their own renter’s policy, as their belongings and personal liability are not covered on your policy.

Health Insurance

Most of the time you will be covered under your parents’ health insurance while going to school, but you’ll want to make sure you understand any restrictions or conditions that would negate the policy.

Just like your personal property coverage, where you live may determine if you are still covered under your parents’ insurance policy. Other restrictions include age, marital status and employment.

Moving to a new town also means finding new doctors and medical facilities. You’ll want to reference your health insurance provider’s in-network and out-of-network listing of doctors near your school.